Kickboxing at Competitive Edge Karate
Competitive Edge Fitness Kickboxing Program is an excellent way to become physically fit, with increased strength, which can significantly improve your health. Regardless of age, sex or current physical condition, you can begin a complete CEK fitness program.
The CEK Program incorporates all three aspects of a complete physical conditioning program—muscular development, cardiovascular conditioning, and flexibility. In order to understand better the affects each of these aspects has on our bodies, we need to be aware of the overall benefits of each.
2010 IKF World Kickboxing Champions
Resistance training adds more muscle to our physique, giving us a number of benefits in addition to increased strength. Building muscles in balance with each other helps prevent injury. Also, with more muscle mass, our metabolic rate rises. Muscle burns fat, even when we are asleep. So the more muscle we have, the less likely the calories we consume will turn to fat. Our physical appearance in enhanced, we look leaner and firmer, and we feel better about ourselves.
When compared to other types of activities, a CEK cardiovascular kickboxing workout burns a tremendous amount of calories and fat. For example, a 150-lb person who takes an hour of kickboxing burns 795 calories. While an hour of basketball burns only 550 calories; an hour of running (at a ten-minute mile pace) burns 530 calories; and, an hour of biking burns 305 calories.
- How to burn calories? That’s easy, just be alive! Your body is constantly burning calories to keep your body functioning. To burn more calories, do more activities, and the more strenuous the activity the greater the calorie burn.
- How many calories to lose one pound? You have to burn 3500 calories to lose one pound of weight. This is why you should use a calorie counter regularly.
- How to lose 20 pounds? You have to have a calorie deficit* of 70,000 calories to lose 20 pounds (*burn 70,000 more calories than the number of calories you eat).
Now it’s easy to see how kickboxing training would keep an individual leaner with less of a time investment.
For the busy person (as many of us are these days), this is particularly important. Just as important is the tremendous increase in energy that one receives as a result of cardiovascular conditioning.
For maximum benefits in flexibility, a physical conditioning program must have both static and dynamic stretching. Doing both kinds of stretching helps to prevent injury. It also keeps us agile and feeling youthful.
- Individuals who are physically active tend to be more flexible than those who are not physically active.
- When you are physically inactive, muscles and other tissues tend to shorten and tighten leading to further loss of flexibility.
- Flexibility is specific to each joint and muscle group.
- Poor flexibility can contribute to poor posture.
- Increased flexibility helps prevent muscle related injuries.
- Increased flexibility helps reduce muscle stiffness.
As you can see it is very important to stretch!
Workouts burn off excess energy, built up tension, and promote a sense of tranquility. Meditative aspects give the mind a peaceful mini-vacation from an often-demanding reality.
Kyoshi Roger Dabney has more than 38 years of experience in the martial arts. He reached the goal of black belt at the age of 17 and is currently a 8th degree Black Belt in American Open Style Karate and a 6th degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do. Dabney has many martial arts accomplishments, some of which include:
- 1981 Amateur Featherweight Kickboxing Championship Title
- Member of the 1986 United States Karate Team
- 1994 VA Welterweight Kickboxing Professional Championship Title
- Ranked one of the world’s Top Ten Kickboxers in 1994
- 2015 – Inducted in the U.S.A. Martial Arts Hall Of Fame and received the Living Legend Award
Competitive Edge Karate has been in the Richmond area for over (18) years and is now located at 3500 Mayland Court. Kyoshi Dabney has combined his experiences, his own knowledge and the knowledge of numerous boxing coaches, professional kickboxers & trainers, educators, psychologists and entrepreneurs, to develop an exciting and comprehensive kickboxing program that integrates mental lessons with physical skills and person development with individual accomplishments that is the CEK Experience!